Electric bike tour Tuscany Via Francigena 3-day adventure
Via Francigena, an ancient history
This itinerary became famous when Sigerico, the archbishop of Canterbury, went to Rome to receive his pallium from the pope. It was around year 990. On his way back home to Canterbury, Sigerico wrote on his travel diary, the details of the itinerary and all the stops he made. Today’s Via Francigena is the “reverse engineering” of Sigerico’s travel diary.
An electric bike tour of Tuscany on the Via Francigena is like living in a “parallel universe”
You can go from one city to another one just cycling in the middle of nature with stunning views, hearing the sound of the forest, while the rest of the world keeps running on big, crowded and noisy streets. This magic road offers the beauty of Tuscany countryside and great opportunities to visit/explore small jewels – like churches called Pieve (medieval origin) or Etruscan/Roman thermal bath still open and free where you can stop for a refreshing “swimming session”.
Total dist. 138km/85.7mi, evel. gain 2050mt/6726ft.
Day 1 – From San Miniato to San Gimignano
- The starting point of the tour: Florence.
- Transfer to San Miniato by train.
- Lunch – Agritourism in Gambassi Terme.
- Night & dinner – in agritourism nearby San Gimignano (shared double).
- Total distance by e-bike 42km/26mi, evel. gain 727mt/2385ft.
Day 2 – From San Gimignano to Siena
- Breakfast – San Gimignano.
- Lunch – Monteriggioni.
- Night & dinner – in agritourism nearby Siena (shared double).
- Total distance by e-bike 40.8km/25.3mi, evel. gain 594mt/1948ft.
Day 3 – From Siena to Bagno Vignoni
- Breakfast – in agritourism.
- Lunch – Ponte d’Arbia.
- Bagno Vignoni – free natural hot springs for the deserved relax.
- We offer free transfer, back to Florence (if needed).
- Total distance by e-bike 55.2km/34.3mi, evel. gain 732mt/2402ft.
- Expected arrival in Florence around 8:00pm/9:00pm
Do you want to see more?
Electric bike tour Tuscany Via Francigena 3-day, key information:
- Bikepacking style tour: each biker should carry his/her soft and lightweight luggage (provided) on the bike. 37L. See below.
- Video from Drone – Free – “best moments video”; view from the top using a flying drone with a camera.
- Departure between 7:30 am. to 9:00 am. depending on the distance.
- Transfer back to Florence (if needed) is free of charge.
- This offer does include fees related to train, agritourism, breakfast, lunch, and dinner as reported above.
- Small group tour, the maximum number of travelers is 8 min 4.
- This tour is offered only with electric bikes. The adoption of electric bikes is a strategic decision for us; electric bikes are designed to help if/when needed; a great enabler to joy and share a cycling tour with family or friends.
- Cycle a touring pace, good physical fitness is required as well as the ability to ride a mountain bike.
- High-level maps of the e-bike tour (daily distance, elev. gain) attached below.
- The tour is offered in English or Italian. Other languages upon request (to be quoted).
- The bike is set-up with standard saddle and high grip flat pedals. If you like, you are welcome to bring your saddle and MTB pedals. If you bring your clipless cycling MTB shoes with cleats, please bring your MTB pedals that are specific to your type of cleat. We will put your pedals on and take them off for you at the end of the tour.
- In case you have extra luggage, during the bike tour, we offer free luggage storage in Florence.
- This tour is not recommended for children under 12 years. Please contact us in advance in case you have specific needs.
Electric bike tour Tuscany Via Francigena, additional notes:
- Free video from Drone – “best moments video”: video and photos from the drone.
- Electric bike (e-bikes) – The adoption of electric bikes is a strategic decision for us. Electric Bikes are designed to help if/when needed; a great enabler to joy and share a cycling tour with family or friends. Cycling Tuscany together is wonderful!
- Environment, Health & Safety – Environment, health, and safety are priorities for us. Expect safety debrief before the tour. Use of camera/mobile while cycling is not allowed; frequent stops to enjoy views & pics. Bike tours are designed to be safe and fun; it is not a race.
- Stay connected – Free – WIFI during the tour with our hot-spot. You can share the photo and video in real time.
- Small groups – For superior customer experience, we focus on small groups, min 4, max 8 pax.